Subsector reports highlight priorities for specific industries
Separate, subsector-specific breakout reports have also been released, including health and human services (HHS) organizations, higher education organizations, specific grantmakers, public charities, international non-governmental organizations (INGOs), and organizations with more than $75 million in annual revenue. Top findings from subsectors include:
- HHS organizations – and their donors – are focused on cybersecurity. Nearly all (90%) of HHS organizations are somewhat or very concerned about a potential cybersecurity incident, and 54% indicated donors have asked for more information on cybersecurity strategies and/or cyber risk in the past 12 months.
- Higher education organizations at an ESG crossroads. Higher education organizations reported increased donor requests for information regarding ESG strategy (54%) and environmental impact (46%). As they actively develop and advance ESG priorities, pressure from all sides underscores the ever-increasing importance of thorough strategizing.
- Grantmakers are eyeing technology investment. More than half (54%) of grantmakers report increasing their technology spend, and the primary goals for this investment are improved program/service delivery and improved operational efficiency.
- Public charities tackle human resources challenges. Eighty percent of public charities stated that human resources challenges are making it difficult to report on program impacts. To combat this, public charities are deploying numerous strategies and incentives to attract and retain talent, with 28% planning to increase wages and salaries.
- INGOs are heavily investing in their digital infrastructure. Digital transformation is the highest priority for INGOs for the next 12 months, with nearly three-quarters (70%) planning to increase their technology spending and 80% planning to implement a new enterprise resource planning (ERP) system.
For more information, including data on organizational transformation, liquidity, ESG priorities, and more, download the industry overview and explore the subsector snapshots.
About the Survey
This year’s Nonprofit Standards Benchmarking Survey was fielded in May 2023 by the Rabin Research company. It surveyed 250 nonprofit leaders of health and human services organizations, public charities, colleges and universities, grantmakers, and international nongovernmental organizations.
About BDO USA, P.C.
At BDO, our purpose is to help people thrive, every day. Together, we are focused on delivering exceptional and sustainable outcomes – for our people, our clients, and our communities. Across the U.S., and in over 160 countries through our global organization, BDO professionals provide assurance, tax, and advisory services for a diverse range of clients.
BDO is the brand name for the BDO network and for each of the BDO Member Firms. BDO USA, P.C, a Virginia professional corporation, is the U.S. member of BDO International Limited, a UK company limited by guarantee, and forms part of the international BDO network of independent member firms. www.bdo.com