Partner and National Leader – The BDO Center for Healthcare Excellence & Innovation
Steven Shill has spent more than two decades in public accounting, as well as five years in a senior management role with a publicly traded corporation overseas. Steven serves both public and privately held and nonprofit companies in the healthcare provider, payer and insurance sectors, including hospitals, health plans, specialty and primary care physician groups, surgery centers, urgent care centers, and various managed care organizations. In addition to providing assurance services, Steven has examined feasibility studies for bond offerings used to finance new or replacement hospital developments of in excess of $750 million, including the examination of the feasibility study for the “The Bond Buyer Deal of the Year in 2005.”
Steven has experience performing merger due diligence and assurance procedures, including for one of the largest hospital acquisitions in the United States in 2003. Steven is Yellow Book–certified to provide audit opinions on Single Audit and OMB A-133 engagements. His paper “Re-engineering the Turnaround Process for Healthcare Organizations” was featured as the lead article in the Journal for Corporate Renewal, the flagship publication of the Turnaround Management Association, a global organization focused on restructuring.
Steven is a steering committee member of BDO International’s Public Sector practice, which is made up of the healthcare, education, social welfare, and local and central government practices for BDO offices across the globe.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- California Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Healthcare Financial Management Association--Southern California Chapter
- Post-Graduate Honors Degree, Accounting Science, University of South Africa
- B.S., Commerce, University of Witwatersrand, South Africa
- Chartered accountant
- Served as a board member for two nonprofit charity organizations in Orange County, California