Assurance Principal; Africa Desk Leader
Matt Cromwell is a princiapl with BDO’s Assurance practice with extensive experience working with large nonprofit organizations, with a focus on international operations, performing assurance and consulting services both within the U.S. and globally. Matt joined BDO in January 2009 after serving 15 years at a Big Four firm in various capacities. His experience includes:
- Planning, performing, and supervising a wide array of financial statement audits.
- Performing work in over 30 international locations for his NGO clients.
- Analyzing internal controls and policies, and writing accounting policies and procedure manuals.
- Interfacing regularly with audit committees, providing both governance insight and commentary on adequacy of the client’s accounting functions.
- Working with organizations with multiple non-profit and for profit entities.
- Performing donor audits for multiple clients with a wide range of deliverables.
- Advising on U.S. government appropriations and related accounting for federal requirements.
- Conducting compliance audits for organizations receiving significant federal funding from many different agencies under the Uniform Guidance.
- Performing and reviewing program specific compliance audits, and agreed-upon procedures engagements for many donors, including SIDA, UNITAID, Global Fund, German Development Bank (“KfW”), Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, DFID, and many others.
- Consulting with clients on internal control reviews, policies and procedures manuals, indirect cost analyses, OMB Circular A-122 and A-110 matters, and audits by federal and private grantors.
- Developing both non-profit and Uniform Guidance training for BDO nationally.
- Frequent speaker on matters focused on international non-governmental organizations.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- George Mason University Accounting Advisory Council for almost 15 years (past council president)
- Greater Washington Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants
- B.S., Accounting, George Mason University