Assurance Partner; Healthcare Industry Co-Leader
Karen Fitzsimmons is a partner with BDO’s Assurance division with more than 26 years of public accounting experience serving healthcare and nonprofit organizations in the mid-Atlantic Area. Prior to coming to BDO USA, LLP, Karen spent her professional career as a Partner with a Big Four firm serving as the Mid-Atlantic Area Nonprofit Industry Leader. She focuses on auditing and accounting matters as well as financial advisory projects specific to healthcare and nonprofit organizations.
Her experience in nonprofit auditing and consulting includes auditing a wide variety of tax-exempt organizations, including healthcare systems, managed care organizations, continuing care retirement communities, skilled nursing facilities, assisted living, associations, membership organizations, and foundations. She periodically consults with clients on regulatory compliance and reporting, internal control reviews, tax-exempt bond financings, tax-exempt merger/acquisition due diligence, fraud investigation, and business process/operational reviews.
- Accounting Advisory Board for the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Greater Washington Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Healthcare Financial Management Association
- Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants
- B.S., Accounting, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University