As a self-performing contractor, your business wins and loses based on your ability to effectively manage and control labor. For most specialty, trade, civil and self-performing general contractors, labor represents the largest single controllable costs in the business. Labor also represents your single largest opportunity to improve competitiveness and impact the bottom line. For many firms, a 5% change in productivity has the potential to improve company profitability by close to 50%. The session will address:
- What industry changes are driving and forcing contractors to improve productivity?
- Developing a comprehensive approach to improving productivity that includes a focus on processes, people and measurements.
- Evaluating how your current strategy, structure, leadership, management skills and management processes are impacting productivity.
- How top management and project management are critical to productivity improvement.
- What it really takes to create a sustainable advantage through productivity improvement.
- How to prepare your company to be a lower-cost producer.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Develop a comprehensive approach to improving productivity that includes a focus on processes, people and measurements.
- Evaluate how your current strategy, structure, leadership, management skills and management processes are impacting productivity.
- Prepare your company to be a lower-cost producer.
Delivery: Group Live
Advanced Prep: None
Credits: 1.5 credits in the field of Business Management & Organization
Program Level: Basic
BDO USA, LLP is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org
Scott Kimpland, Director, FMI Corporation
Scott provides a variety of management consulting services to contracting companies of all sizes. Through his experience in developing and implementing productivity improvement initiatives, Scott has successfully helped his clients gain better control of their company operations.
Tom Menk, Assurance Partner, Construction Practice, BDO USA, LLP
Tom has more than 30 years of experience in audit, assurance and operational issues surrounding construction companies. He also provides extensive business consulting services to clients.