Windows 7 End-of-Life Coming January 2020 – How to Prepare
September 30, 2019
After January 14, 2020, Microsoft will end support for Windows 7.
To date, there is still a paid support option for the operating system, but all complimentary updates that come as a part of the product license have ended
As the end of support date creeps up, it is important to know how this will affect your organization.
What Will Happen After January 14
- Your computer will still run: Your PCs will continue to start and run, however there will no longer be support for your business.
- Windows 7 will become unprotected: Microsoft will no longer provide security updates for all computers running on Windows 7. Without additional ongoing updates, your system will be more vulnerable to security risks and viruses. Continuing to use Windows 7 after the January 14 date will put your organization at an increased risk for a cyberattack.
- No software updates: Software updates will not push to older operating systems – in fact the newest software updates are already incompatible with Windows 7. Programs such as Office 2019 are not compatible with Windows 7 and will start to run increasingly slower over time.
- No technical support: Technical support will also end – this includes troubleshooting, bug fixes, and any support that may be needed after a potential attack.
To prepare for this, you should consider migrating to Windows 10 OS.
Why You Should Switch to Windows 10
- Improved Security: Native security features provide layers of protection against phishing attacks, ransomware, spyware and compromised accounts. Updates are continuously pushed out with new security features designed to keep up with evolving cybercrime strategies. Additionally, you can reduce risk by up to 40 percent when you move to Windows 10 and Office 365 ProPlus and stay current with regular security updates backed by the Microsoft cloud.
- Windows 10 is part of a holistic Modern Workplace solution: Windows 10 is part of Microsoft 365 (Win10 + Office 365 + EMS), bringing modern desktop capabilities to your organization. Rest assured knowing more than 99 percent of all Windows 7 and Office 2010 apps are compatible with Windows 10 and Office 365 ProPlus. If you have an app that doesn’t work, it can be remedied.
- Updates are much easier than ever before: Windows 10 updates are automatically pushed out. And with Microsoft launching its semi-annual channel of updates, this means feature updates are available as soon as Microsoft releases them. When pilot deployment and testing are finished for an available update, you can choose a time at which it goes into broad deployment.
- Funding is currently available for migrations to Windows 10: Microsoft had funding programs to help qualified organizations get started. For Windows 10 projects, currently (as of September 2019) Microsoft 365 Everywhere and Modern Desktop Adoption funding programs are available to help, as well as user enablement and adoption motions to ensure your team embraces it. We can help determine what funding is available to your organization.
- FastTrack provides complimentary benefits: FastTrack is another service provided by Microsoft that helps businesses onboard Microsoft Cloud solutions, including Windows 10, at no additional cost for the life of their subscription.
To learn more about Windows 10 and explore funding and built-in FastTrack benefits, contact BDO Digital.