8 Tips for Effective Job Postings
Finding the right candidates to fill an open position at your restaurant can be time consuming and frustrating. It can also get expensive, and be difficult to handle when you are balancing all your other daily responsibilities and challenges.
The first step is getting the right talent through the door – and the way to do this is with a well-crafted job posting. Here are a few tips to make the perfect want ad that will attract the right professionals you need to make your restaurant a success.
- Make it search friendly. The job title is the most important section of your ad – it is the first thing job seekers will see. Optimize your job titles and keywords so they are relevant to the position you are posting. Too much creativity here could be a deterrent. The right keywords will be critical for the various search engines.
- Make it pretty. Branding is key! Average job seekers give more attention to visuals and branded postings. Be sure to include your logo, videos, pictures, etc. where appropriate. Bullet points are also more appealing to candidates over long sentences.
- Just the facts. Average job seekers spend on average less than 30 seconds reviewing a job posting. Make sure the content of your posting is informative (so candidates understand the position and expectations) but not too lengthy. Be sure to highlight the most important and unique information to attract the candidate’s interest.
- Pay attention to the location of text. Placement means everything. Be sure to put the most pertinent and informative information at the top of your ad. This helps engage the candidates and entice them to read further.
- Don’t ignore pertinent details important to candidates. Salary plays an important role in a candidate’s decision to apply for positions as well as accept offers. If you believe your compensation package is attractive, make it known. Also be sure to highlight other incentives of working for your company such as benefits, culture, and growth opportunity.
- Don’t over promise, under deliver. Finding and placing the right fit should be of most importance. Be honest about your company, the culture, the responsibilities of the position, and the expectations.
- Don’t shy away from deal breakers. For example, if a job requires a lot of travel, make sure you communicate this up front. It could factor into a candidate’s decision to apply for the job.
- Don’t be afraid to ask. Posting an attractive job posting takes work and creativity – you have very limited space to include a lot of pertinent information – and you want to ensure its appeal to candidates. Don’t be afraid to reach out to professional to assist you with creating the perfect job ad.
Have questions about creating an effective job post? Need help finding the right candidate for an open position at your company?BDO can assist you. Contact us