Seven Steps to Carpe Diem on #GivingTuesday
The countdown to #GivingTuesday 2017 is on. Since its launch in 2012, #GivingTuesday has grown, with 2016 donations skyrocketing
44 percent and totaling $177 million. With more than 40,000 nonprofits across the globe vying for donations on one of the most coveted fundraising days of the year, it’s important to stand out from the crowd. Is your nonprofit prepared to seize the day?
In a recent Philanthropy Journal
article, I outline seven fundraising and governance strategies to “carpe diem” on November 28 and position your organization for success in the new year ahead. A few ideas to kickstart an effective campaign include:
- Take steps to optimize your online presence—before, during and after #GivingTuesday.
- Establish objectives that are measurable and specific to guide your campaign.
- Don’t overlook the potential of existing donors and supporters.
- Use the holiday to pilot new fundraising methods.
- Tell your own financial story.
- Know (and contextualize) your organization’s rankings on watchdog sites like GuideStar or Charity Navigator.
- Don’t put all of your eggs in the #GivingTuesday basket. Lay the groundwork for strong, sustainable fundraising not just on November 28, but throughout 2018.
Access the original article, and full tips for seizing the day this #GivingTuesday in the Philanthropy Journal.
Be sure to keep up with the latest happenings in the nonprofit industry by subscribing to our blog on the Nonprofit Standard homepage @BDONonprofit, and following us on Twitter @BDONonprofit.